Saturday 30 May 2009

Imagining a costume

My husband joked yet again about how easy things would be if only I would put the kids in school. I told him he had another think coming: two school runs a day, uniforms to buy, wash and iron, helping with homework, manufacturing costumes for World Book Day with three days' notice. So I hear.

He suggests sending her as some sort of literary urchin. That's right up my alley: whenever we have to produce a costume for a home ed history day, I always plump for the pauper look. The Kid groans and rolls her eyes in embarrassment. "I'm going to run away from home and live with the wolves," she declares.

"I've got news for you," I reply, "The wolves aren't going to make you a decent costume either... unless you want to go as Mowgli?" And not your Disnified Mowgli either, I think, clad in improbable pants. "Naked!!" both of us parents shout in glee. "We'll send her to school naked. With a flaming torch."

I am counting down the weeks until World Book Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment