Tuesday 28 July 2009

The penny begins to drop

My daughter has not fully realised just how much of her time school is going to take up. I'm quietly trying to discourage her from taking on TOO many new activities. One or two activities a day is very easy to fit into the diary of a home educated kid, but could mean stress for a schoolchild.

It's now school holidays. Yesterday she said she was looking forward to going swimming when the pools had got a bit quieter, so she and her friends can play together in peace and not have to queue for a shower. "How long until school starts?" she asked, "so we can swim when the pool isn't busy?" I reminded her that when school starts, she'll be starting with it. I saw her realise that there will be no more peaceful visits to the pool.

One of her friends told her about a couple of fun-sounding home ed trips his mum had booked him onto in the autumn. She asked me whether we could go too. "No," I said, "you'll be at school."

Last night she was deep into the details of her latest moneymaking scheme: sewing clothes for stuffed toys and selling them online. "Once I have my patterns done, I should be able to make two pairs of trousers an hour," she calculated. "If I work three hours a day, I'll be able to make six pairs a day. After paying for the materials I'll earn £12 a day, if I can sell them all." I said nothing. It seemed too unkind to point out that soon she won't HAVE three hours a day, not if she wants any kind of life outside sleep, school, and her new business venture. I guess she'll see that soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment